polka dots

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Big Girl Bed




Yesterday we put Joya's big girl bed in her room and I gave her the choice at nap time which bed she wanted to sleep in. She choose her big girl bed after playing on it all morning. I put her in her bed and told her it was nappy time and that she needed to stay in her bed. She is allowed to bring any toys or books she wants to on her bed, but then has to stay on her bed for nap time. I put her in her bed, and left the room leaving her door open a crack. I watched through her door and she paced back and forth crying, on and off her bed. She cried for an hour and then finally laid down on her bed and fell asleep for almost an hour. That night she cried for 5 min. and never got out of bed. She slept all night until 6:30 the next morning, she did so good. Today during nap time I told her it was nap time and she ran to her big girl bed saying "big girl big girl" the whole way down the hall. She talked me into reading her a story and then I told her she needed to get into bed, she got on her bed and came right down asking for the book we had just read, so I gave that to her and she got in her bed with the book. Again I left her door open a crack to see what she would do, but she stayed in her bed and slept for 2 and a half hours!!! That is an amazing nap for her but she also stayed in her bed which was awesome! Tonight we put her to bed and it was just like putting her in her crib, we read stories, put her to bed, prayed over her and then left the room. We haven't heard a word from her since and its been 45 min. I think its safe to say she fell asleep right away!! I have been waiting a half hour past her normal bed and nap times to put her down, so that she is really tired!! But I am very please with how she is doing!! It is going a whole lot better than I thought it would!!

1 comment:

Bananas and Damask Interiors said...

That is so exciting-we are getting ready to do that with Sophie. I hope that she does as well as Joya. We'll pray for continued success. Right now, she's just pleased that her dresser came in a BIG box to play in! Love you guys. We're sending off our stickers today :-)