polka dots

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Psoriasis

I have psoriasis, it is an auto-immune disease, which means that when I am tired and stressed out, my psoriasis flares up. I have it all over my scalp, chest, back, arms, and legs. It burns and itches really bad when I am flared up. Right now I am flared up because I am sick, but I took these pictures a while ago when I wasn't so bad! When I am flared up I have huge red spots, that flake and itch and burn. I don't know why I am blogging about this, but someday it will be gone and I probably won't remember what it felt like or looked like, so I am publishing it for the record!
I found out that I had psoriasis almost 3 years ago. When I got pregnant with Joya I got really bad dandruff...or I thought it was dandruff, it really was psoriasis. Anyway after I had Joya it got really bad, when I wasn't sleeping when she was a new born. Anyway I went to a dermatologist in Arizona, found out what I had and that there is nothing I can do for it until I am done having babies. All of the medications that would help the psoriasis go away cause birth defects. So for now I have steroid creams that help with the itching!! And that's all I can do!

2 comments:

chicagoil said...

you need to buy a book by dr. pagano who has cured psoriasis through diet. a dermatologist will tell you that there is no cure and that you will have to slather ointments that cost a fortune on your psoriasis for the rest of your life - not true apparently. there is a connection between something called "leaky gut syndrome", food allergies and psoriasis which you will come to learn about in the book - the title of which i can't remember at the moment. just google dr. pagano psoriasis and i'm sure you'll find it. good luck.

Unknown said...

Hi, there! How are you now? Do you still experience psoriasis attacks? I hope those occasions have already lessened. Anyway, aside from applying topical medications, I think it’ll also help if you’ll apply a moisturizer on your skin. Ask your dermatologist if he/she can recommend one that is safe for your skin type. I’ve also read that it helps to eat healthy, like consuming low-energy food, or becoming a vegetarian altogether! I am no expert, but I think it’ll also help if you relax to avoid stress that can trigger psoriasis. Hope you’re doing well today!

Talia Kent